2012年8月21日星期二

Can Boniva cause hair loss

Can Boniva cause hair loss

I have been on Boniva for just under a year. Initially, I had the flu like symptoms when I took it, but was so afraid of breaking more bones (knee, vertebra, both elbows and toe already fractured) that I was committed to staying on it. Now, over the last 5 months, I notice my hair thinning on top particularly in the part and near the front where my bangs are. Am I anxious about this? YES. Today I saw on GMA that drugs like Boniva are cumulative, and may be able to be stopped at some point. My bone density scan after a year on Boniva did show improvement in the density, but after reading about other women having bone loss and the fact I have started on low dose compounded estrogen and progesteron (even without a uterus), I am considering getting off Boniva. I have also developed a very irregular rhythm ( frequent PVCs to the point that I am short of breath with minimal exertion sometimes) but my cardiologist has just upped the dose of Toprol (used for rhythm control and not hypertension). Apparently, Toprol also has the side effect of hair loss. I don\'t know about others, but I am not up for being bald just to have stronger bones. The jury is still out on all of this and in a year we may all be in a class action law suit trying to get damages for some awful scenario.
Three days after taking my 4th dose of once a month Boniva I realized that it was too much of a coincidence that my flu symptoms and the severe pain in left jaw which made every tooth ache in spite of the clean bill of health from my dentist. It had to be the Boniva. This is the only drug that I am take. I never even considered that my extreme hair loss over the last 3 months could also be caused by this same drug. I too can\'t wait to get this out of my system. Sometimes the cure just isn\'t worth the ailment!
I took Boniva for 11 mos. and was experiencing hair loss, but figured it was part of perimenopause. Severe hip pain made me decide to quit taking it 2 1/2 mos. ago. The hair loss has almost stopped! I can blow dry my hair without the bathroom counter having many hairs laying on it. I experienced lower back pain, but had chalked that up to a back injury of almost 2 yrs. prior and my rheumatologist thought my aching knees were bursitis(I\'ve had hip bursitis for 8 yrs). Within weeks of stopping the Boniva, the knee and back pain went away.
I took Boniva for 11 mos. and was experiencing hair loss, but figured it was part of perimenopause. Severe hip pain made me decide to quit taking it 2 1/2 mos. ago. The hair loss has almost stopped! I can blow dry my hair without the bathroom counter having many hairs laying on it. I experienced lower back pain, but had chalked that up to a back injury of almost 2 yrs. prior and my rheumatologist thought my aching knees were bursitis(I\'ve had hip bursitis for 8 yrs). Within weeks of stopping the Boniva, the knee and back pain went away.
I\'ve been taking Boniva for over a year. I started having some hair loss but not enough to cause alarm. The last three or four months it\'s been increasing. My Doctor basically told me to accept the loss. He told me to use Rogaine but that was treating the sympton not the cause. He said Boniva wouldn\'t cause hair loss. I talked to my Pharmacist and he sais he\'d heard women say it did, then I found this site. I\'m sure Boniva is what caused my hair loss, the timing is right. I\'m going off the Boniva and am grateful for all the women who shared their experience. I\'m very unhappy with my Doctor, I\'ve been a patient for over 30 years and deserved to be taken seriously.
For all of you who are taking Bonviva and lossing your hair it goes with out saying that the medicine is causing the poblem. I am 47 and I took Bonviva (Roche) for a year, my hair was also comming out. From what I have read about this drug you can never stop taking it (please check with your doctor) and it can cause the reverse reactions to your bones if you do. I have chosen to stop taking Bonviva and I am changing my diet. Please research as much as possible throught internet about your weak bones and do what is right for you. Your doctor is not researching your problem he only prescribes the medicine that someone else tells him works. Look up web sights that tell you how to cure osteoporosis with out drugs. Also look up info about Bonviva and Bonvia. Thanks, and God be with Us
I have been taking Boniva for 3 years. The last 2 years I have noticed a change in the texture of my fine hair. It is much finer then it ever was and just unmanageable. It is also getting thinner I believe. When I asked my hairdresser what might be causing this change in my hair she asked if I was taking any medication. That was the first time I made the possible connection between the change in my hair and Boniva. I want strong bones, but I want nice looking hair also. I will be looking for other alternatives to treating and preventing osteoperosis and how to get off of Boniva.
I started having hair thinning after my 3rd dose and GI (diarrhea) around the same time. I had no idea it could be related to a bone building drug. I took boniva for 9 months! If I had put 2 and 2 together I would have quit sooner. I thought I was doing myself a favor. I didn't want broken bones, I'm only 51. My GI issues are better but not back to Pre Boniva. I think I see the beginning of a little fuzzy hair around my front hairline. I hope things eventually resolve.
Why didn't my doctor pick up on this??
I took one dose of Boniva. Had major side effects; couldn't get out of bed for the first 3 days, terrible dizziness, ringing in my ears among others. I didn't take another one! Still 3 months after quitting it, the texture of my hair is like peach fuzz and much thinner. I have fine thin hair to begin with, so the change is more noticeable. By doctor said it takes several months for the side effects to disappear after quitting, but my hair does not seem to be getting any better with time (actually seems to be getting worse).
I have been taking Boniva for over a year and in the last few months have noticed considerable hair loss thinning. I am so glad I found this site. No one in my family, father or mother or grandparents, had hair loss but had thick hair and so did I. I am older (60s) and thought that may have something to do with it but now I am convinced it is Boniva that is causing this. I take only high blood pressure medicine (for years) and have had no hair loss from it. I had narrowed it down to the Boniva being that's when the hair loss began. I consulted dermatologist,endocrinologist and family practitioner and was told it might be age and to use Rogaine. Not one of them tried to determine what was causing the hair loss. I stopped boniva several months ago on my own and am noticing some regrowth in front. Still no eyebrows. My gyn wanted to set me up for reclast infusion but I found out that it is the same family of drugs as boniva. Tried calcitonin but it hurt my stomach so bad I couldn't take it so guess I will take my chances with osteoporosis.
I started taking Boniva about 10 month ago. at first, I had chill kind feeling the first day after taking it. I thought it would get better when the body get used to it. It did get better, but I started hair loss 4 or 5 month ago. I could not figure out why. I had thin hair all along but did not have hair loss problem before. Good thing I checked this site and I believe that my hair loss is related to Boniva.

没有评论:

发表评论